Critical Steps to Alabama Firefighter Career Entry
Most candidates who are not currently on a local fire department payroll opt to attend an academy to earn Firefighter I and II Certifications. Accomplishing that goal entails satisfactorily demonstrating practical skills and passage of Alabama’s comprehensive written State Firefighter Certification exam. Each cadet must successfully complete both tasks immediately after certification training graduation.
Phase I – Pre-Training Requirements
All would-be professional Alabama firefighters must satisfy all threshold qualifications for initial admission to an approved training academy:
• Minimum age of 18
• GED or high school diploma
• Present active valid Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) certification, per Alabama Fire College and Personnel Standards Commission regulations
• Submit a Physical Statement Form with a Proof of Health Insurance Form signed by a licensed Alabama physician
• Undergo a complete Firefighter Medical Exam and submit written documentation of satisfactory results signed by a licensed Alabama physician, Nurse Practitioner or Physician’s Assistant
• Submit a Firefighter I and II Training Application form that may be downloaded here, then pay all tuition and fees in full at least one month prior to scheduled start date
Start your journey by getting free information on firefighter programs near you:
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Bachelor of Arts in Leadership Studies - Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Criminal Justice
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Fire Science
- Bachelor of Science in Public Safety Administration
- Associate of Arts in Criminal Justice
- And more...
Complete a mandatory pre-training orientation session that typically lasts a few hours and scheduled 30 days before actual courses begin. **NOTE***: As this is a formal regulatory requirement, applicants receive official advance notification by email or letter via U.S. Postal delivery. Non-attendance on the appointed orientation date may cause forfeiture of the candidate’s spot in the next upcoming Firefighter I training class.
Prior to attending the first training class, new recruits must complete all mandatory Medical training and submit one of the following forms as documentation thereof:
• A current valid EMT license
• Emergency Medical Responder training
• Proof of successful EMT training
• Emergency Care Provider training
Emergency Care Provider training courses are typically offered one week before the scheduled start date of Firefighter I Certification classes.
Find All Raw Materials and Basic Resources Needed To Be an Alabama Firefighter
Learn more about entering this laudable profession dedicated to “Building a better fire service for both firefighters and Alabama citizens” by visiting the State Firefighters Association official website. After checking out enormous rewards and challenges of fighting an ever-present archenemy to Alabamans’ safety, you’ll have no choice but to conclude that external benefits of booming steel and automotive industries make larger fire departments in Montgomery, Tuscaloosa and Birmingham more than worthy of full investigation as permanent destinations to maximize forward occupational progress with accelerated career success!