Basic Requirements to Become an Iowa Firefighter
• A high school diploma
• Valid Iowa State driver’s license
• No criminal record
• At least 18 years of age (Younger candidates may join a Junior Firefighters’ auxiliary unit)
Mandatory Minimum Entry-Level Training
Besides top physical fitness, aspiring Iowa firefighters must possess valid FF-I or II certification in good standing. All programs and facilities in Iowa’s Fire Service Training Bureau Certification System are fully accredited by the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) and National Board on Fire Service Professional Qualifications (ProBoard). Both credentials signify full compliance with nationally recognized quality control standards for the most recent relevant practical skills development and instruction materials content.
Iowa Firefighter I Certification Program Admission Prerequisites
• At least 18 years of age
• Current membership in an Iowa fire, rescue or emergency organization
• Documentation signed by employer or Fire Dept. Chief to verify:
o Emergency Medical training in shock management, acute hemorrhage treatments and infectious disease control
o Training in cardiopulmonary resuscitation procedures
Substantive Iowa Firefighter I Certification Training Content
Start your journey by getting free information on firefighter programs near you:
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Fire Science
- Bachelor of Science in Public Safety Administration
- Associate of Arts in Criminal Justice
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Public Administration in Emergency Management and Homeland Security
- Bachelor of Arts in Leadership Studies - Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- And more...
Per applicable regulations, candidates for Iowa FF-I certification must demonstrate satisfactory competence in the following practical skill sets:
• Hazardous Materials Operations
• Fire Extinguishers (Class “A” and “B” portable fire extinguishers)
• Fire Extinguisher Hose Lines (Class “A” exterior/interior extinguishment)
• Vehicle Fire Extinguishment
Although 70% suffices for written exam passage, fresh training graduates must earn 100% on all practical skills assessments to gain Iowa FF-I certification. While such a high standard of maximum perfect score as minimum level of proficient skill is a tall order to fill – it’s a much tougher act for others to follow. Which is precisely why certified Iowa Firefighter I professionals may take justified especial pride in jobs done exceptionally well on behalf of the public.
To find out how to join these relatively few but justifiably proud ranks, don’t hesitate or wait to heed “The Voice of Iowa’s Firefighters” by visiting to read valuable content featured on its website.
For more germane details like FF-I certification procedures and threshold qualifications, see the State Fire Marshal’s page on Iowa’s Public Safety Dept. official website.