Utah is best known for Moab, Utah where some of the best off-roading happens every year with the annual Jeep Safari. Utah is also home to Salt Lake City and one of the most disaster prepared states in the US. Unfortunately the last few years have been pretty rough on the state of Utah when it comes to the amount of Wildland wildfires. Increased drought and drier conditions have increased the fire risk substantially over the last decade. With the heavy increase in Wildland wildfires, there has also been an increase in hiring for Wildland firefighters as well. While the increase in fires is not good for the residents in Utah, it does make this an attractive state if you are looking to break into firefighting.
Keep in mind that in the state of Utah, the minimum requirements to get hired as a firefighter may vary. Not every county or municipality will have the exact same standards for hiring when it comes to criteria they require when bringing new firefighters on board.
Below are some of the basic requirements most counties will require you meet to become a firefighter in Utah:
- You must be at least 18 years of age by the date of the Exam. Unlike other states, most municipalities in Utah do not have an Age cap.
- Only U.S. Citizens may apply.
- You must have an active and up to date Driver’s License and have a clean driving record.
- High School Diploma is required or GED Equivalent.
- You must be able to pass a criminal background check.
- Ability to pass a medical examination.
- You will need to have 20/20 vision or must be corrected to 20/20.
If you have the following experience, you may end up getting additional consideration over other candidates:
Start your journey by getting free information on firefighter programs near you:
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Fire Science
- Bachelor of Science in Public Safety Administration
- Associate of Arts in Criminal Justice
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Public Administration in Emergency Management and Homeland Security
- Bachelor of Arts in Leadership Studies - Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- And more...
- Prior Military Service: If you have prior military service you may get additional consideration over other less qualified candidates for the role of a firefighter.
- EMT Certification: You will need your EMT certification before you are employed as a firefighter, so if you have it prior to applying, it will work in your favor as you will have one less training period you will need to go through.
This should give you a good baseline on what to expect when applying for a firefighter position in Utah. Again, this is by no means all inclusive and certain cities may have different standards than others. For the most part, most of the cities in Utah will adhere to the standards above. Keep in mind, if you are applying for a position as a firefighter in Utah with a Private Company, the guidelines may end up being less strict.
With the growing concerns over Utah wildfires, there’s no reason the hiring of firefighters will not continue at an increased pace. If you are looking to become a firefighter, then Utah is a great place to look for future long term employment. Unfortunately with the amount of wildfires in Utah on the rise, this great state will need all the great firefighters it can get.